Re: stupid question about shmmax, shmmni and shmall...

Giacomo Mulas wrote:
Hello, I am trying to run a demanding quantum chemistry program on a cluster of multiprocessor machines. Each machine has 2 dual-core opterons and 16Gb
of RAM, and is running a 64 bit kernel (currently 2.6.26) and userspace
(lenny) system.  Interprocess communications among processes on the same
node go via shared memory (a lot of it), hence I need to set it to the
maximum possible.

The shared memory IPC could also be done thru mmap calls with appropriate parameters (a real common open file descriptor, MAP_SHARED, ....) I believe you won't have real size limitation but I would suggest to have the mmap-ing fit into RAM.

Of course, you have to synchronize your processes using some different mechanism (pipes, sockets, IPC semaphores semget & semop, Posix semaphores, ...) or even maybe mutex inside the common shared mmap-ed memory