stupid question about shmmax, shmmni and shmall...

Hello, I am trying to run a demanding quantum chemistry program on a cluster
of multiprocessor machines.  Each machine has 2 dual-core opterons and 16Gb
of RAM, and is running a 64 bit kernel (currently 2.6.26) and userspace
(lenny) system.  Interprocess communications among processes on the same
node go via shared memory (a lot of it), hence I need to set it to the
maximum possible.

Can somebody tell me what are the maximum supported values for shmmax,
shmmni and shmall (I know I can set them via /proc/sys/kernel pseudofiles)
or (even better!) tell me how I can calculate them?  Is it likely that a
too large value of shmmax or the other two can cause applications to
segfault?

Thanks in advance,
Giacomo Mulas

Giacomo Mulas <gmulas@ca.astro.it>

OSSERVATORIO ASTRONOMICO DI CAGLIARI
Str. 54, Loc. Poggio dei Pini * 09012 Capoterra (CA)

Tel. (OAC): +39 070 71180 248     Fax : +39 070 71180 222
Tel. (UNICA): +39 070 675 4916

"When the storms are raging around you, stay right where you are"
                         (Freddy Mercury)

believed to be clean.