Re: wpasupplicant in Lenny

Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
Am Samstag, 28. Februar 2009 schrieben Sie:
Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
it is not the option, to set an essid I am looking for. I am looking for
an option like "any" for wep, so that I can drive around, and get access
to ANY wpa access point without no password (like I can do with wep on
accesspoints).

The catchword for this is "roaming".
Hi

I don't  understand  you . Let's clarify .
You have multiple accesspoints with WPA encoding using different essid
and one the same PSK password ( ! strange ! and insecure :-)
What does mean "without no password" - if there is no password then the
accesspoints are open not WPA (WPA require that password is at least
8 character long or something like that I can't remember exact number)
If you have such strange situation you can list these networks in
wpa_supplicant.conf
But if you want to connect to OPEN not WPA protected networks simply add

network={
        key_mgmt=NONE
}

 to your wpa_supplicant.conf file

See /usr/share/doc/wpasupplicant/examples/wpa-roam.conf

Best Regards
Maciek Kaliszewski

Ah, yes, that might be my missunderstanding! Is this correct: When you have NO password activated in the accesspoint, there is NO wpa at all? So, if an accesspoint has got NO password activated, it is the same, if you configured your client with WEP, WPA or WPA2, as it will use it not at all.
Just when you set a password, just then it is important at all.

Is this correct, what I say???

Ok.
Accesspoint can work basically in three modes
1) OPEN - no authentication no encryption (every thing on air may be eavesdropped ) . (In some cases there may be filtering on MAC address activated but it isn't common ) You can connect to this kind of accesspoint with # iwconfig wlan0 essid "SOMEESSID"
or
# iwconfig wlan0 essid any <- driver will chose best network based on signal level

2)
WEP
This isn't secure (really easy to crack )
Authentication and encryption based on key 64 128 or more bits (but more bits doesn't mean it is more secure in fact no matter on key length WEP is crackable )

connection

# iwconfig wlan0 essid "SOMEESID" key 1234ABCDEF <- key in hexdecimal
or
# iwconfig wlan0 essid any key 1234ABCDEF <- driver will try to connect to network with such key or any open network.

IF YOU OWN A ACCESSPOINT AND WANT TO BE SECURE AVOID WEP !!!

3)  WPA WPA2 believed to be secure with long password
authentication PSK most common but there are alternatives
encryption TKIP the same as in WEP but key is changed frequently
or AES much stronger (this belongs to WPA2 I'm not sure )
To connect in linux you have to use wpa_supplicant , but wpa_supplicant may be used in connection to OPEN or WEP protected networks

Hope it helps

Regards
Maciek Kaliszewski

Dzien Kobiet dniem wolnym od pracy? Wypowiedz sie i wygraj nagrode! Sprawdz >> http://link.interia.pl/f2076