Re: In-place upgrade from i386

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 01:52:52AM -0800, Alex Malinovich wrote:
> There was a thread on here a month or two ago about this same topic. The
> short version is that it IS possible to do this. However, I wouldn't
> recommend it as it's more trouble than its worth. Your best bet would be
> something simple like
>
> dpkg --get-selections > selections.list
> tar czf etc.tar.gz /etc/
>
> Then just do a clean install of amd64 on a separate disk/partition, and
> then
>
> dpkg --set-selections < selections.list
> apt-get -f install
> cd /
> tar xzf etc.tar.gz

I would back up at least /var/lib, and selectively restore at least things
like /var/lib/mysql. Also /var/mail might be worth saving...

If you have /home on a separate partition, and have (or can make) enough
space there, back up the whole system partition there! There will always be
something you need to restore later... or use a USB stick or disc for the
backup (ipod? camera? what ever works).

  - Heikki

--
Heikki Levanto   "In Murphy We Turst"     heikki (at) lsd (dot) dk