Re: In-place upgrade from i386

On Fri, 2008-02-15 at 10:17 +0100, Joerg Dorchain wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a system with an intel core 2 dou CPU, which currently runs fine
> Debian-i386.
>
> I want to change it to amd64 with certain conditions:
>
> - Same package selection
> - Same debconf
> - Same config files
> - Same disk afterwards
>
> as on current i386 when it runs amd64.
--snip--

There was a thread on here a month or two ago about this same topic. The
short version is that it IS possible to do this. However, I wouldn't
recommend it as it's more trouble than its worth. Your best bet would be
something simple like

dpkg --get-selections > selections.list
tar czf etc.tar.gz /etc/

Then just do a clean install of amd64 on a separate disk/partition, and
then

dpkg --set-selections < selections.list
apt-get -f install
cd /
tar xzf etc.tar.gz

Note that the commands above are just off the top of my head. If you use
them and your system launches a nuclear weapon at your house, I'm not
responsible. :) Make sure you know what each of them does before you do
it. If you don't know and can't figure it out, don't do it.

If you happen to have /home on a separate partition, you can just
remount it later and you'll be all set. I did almost the exact above
procedure about a year ago due to a corrupted root partition. I
thankfully had both /etc and /home on a separate partition, so it was
quite straightforward. It just took a couple of hours for all of the
packages to install and I was up and running good as new.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837