In-place upgrade from i386

Hello,

I have a system with an intel core 2 dou CPU, which currently runs fine
Debian-i386.

I want to change it to amd64 with certain conditions:

- Same package selection
- Same debconf
- Same config files
- Same disk afterwards

as on current i386 when it runs amd64.

So far I managed to run an amd64 kernel.

For the user space I though an
apt-get -o APT::Architecture="amd64" {update|-f install}
would do it, but stop immediately with
E: Internal Error, Could not perform immediate configuration (2) on
libc6

Any other ideas?

Is an in-place debootstrap possible? Or can I hook the disk on another
system and do a debboostrap there  without loosing the above mentioned
information?

TIA,

Joerg