Re: initng

On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 03:59:43PM +0100, Helge Hafting wrote:
> Alex Samad wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I was just reading an article on slashdot about ubunto and sysvinit. in
>> it, it mentioned about replacement init's one being initng (called
>> prominent).
>>
>> I was wondering if people of the list were using it.  Will it solve my
>> udev/ldap (libnss-ldap) start up problems. Is it worth the effort to
>> change ?
>>
> Initng isn't about solving problems - it is about starting up faster.
> sysvinit do one job at a time, and start one service at a time.
Oh

> Initng do such sequencing only when one operation depends on another.
> (I.e. you must mount the filesystems before starting services and so on)

sounds like I might stick with sysvinit

> Things that don't depend on each other all starts in parallel. That is much
> faster, because:
> * multiple processors or dual-cores are used, if you have them.
> * Starting up something normally involves several disk accesses where
>   the process just waits. This waiting time can now be utilized by other
>   processes starting - even on a single-core machine.
>
> You can boot up in 30s or so - more if your bios wastes lots of time
> before loading the kernel. Even less time if you don't use X.
>
> As for your udev/ldap problems - please tell what these problems are
> if you want help with them.
yeah I think in initramfs or really early on, udev starts up and tries to mount
??? or get access to the passwd DB, but ldap hasn't started.

my nsswitch looks like
passwd:         files ldap
group:          files ldap

it puts up a few error times out etc etc.  But eventually everything come up

> I have had one recurring problem with ldap&nss - various processes
> look up the user id 0 (name: root) before ldap is started. That fails.
> Possibly the same problem with other daemons that must run before ldap and
> under a username of its own.
yep my thoughts as well

> The simple fix for this is to set up nsswitch.conf to try both the old
> passwd file, and then ldap lookup.  You can then have a small /etc/passwd
> file that have "root" and a few other system accounts.
yep that I have

It not a major problem, more an inconvenience

--
"Haven't we already given money to rich people? Why are we going to do it again?"

	- George W. Bush
11/26/2002
Washington, DC
to economic advisers discussing a second round of tax cuts, as quoted by former Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neil