Re: access rights in /sbin and /bin [Update]

On Tue, Dec 09, 2008 at 02:38:40PM +0100, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> Hmm, so if this is really the way, packages are installed, then I should
> always report to the maintainer of the package. On the other hand, I had some
> problems with the package "eject". The installed binary got rwxr--r-- ( with
> owners root:root), but in the package itself it got rwxr-xr-x (root:root).
>
> When I reinstalled it, the permissions did not change. Then I deinstalled it
> completely and reinstalled it again. Now it got the correct permissions:
> rwxr-xr-x ! So far, so well. But after an upgrade some weeks later, the
> permissions were wrong again (set as before). I could not explain that to
> myself, but I could verify this behaviour. Lots of other binaries were
> showing the same effects (for example the kde screensaver suddenly could not
> have been unlocked any more, as the sticky bit was missing).
>
> So, if I would understand, how is and who is setting the permissions at
> upgrades or installing, I could find out, what is going wrong.
>
> Who knows it ?

Could it be that you use su or sudo to do package upgrades?  If so
perhaps su or sudo is passing your user's umask along to root for that
step when you didn't intend that?

I never play with umask so I am not sure.

I expect root to be explicit when creating files and not rely on umask
and such to do the job.