Re: sources.list: experimental

Jochen Schulz <ml@well-adjusted.de> writes:

> Hans-J. Ullrich:
>>
>> I think my original question was wrong told: It is not a matter of the
>> difference between upgrade and dist-upgrade (this difference i well known by
>> me), my question aimed more to like "Hey, if there are higher versions in
>> experimental, are they automatically installed, when doing apt-get
>> dist-upgrade (like it behave, if I am running testing and add the repository
>> of sid in sources.list) ? Or are all versions in experimental ignored, as
>> experimental is handled in a special way ?"
>
> The correct answer has already been given, but just to make sure: yes,
> experimental is handled differently. Apt will never automatically
> upgrade a package on your system to the version in experimental (unless
> you use pinning for that).
>
> J.

Too add some details:

The Release file for experimental contains:
NotAutomatic: yes

This causes apt/aptitude to automatically pin experimental to 1 (I
think).

Then, when installing/updating apt will look at all sources of a
package, take those with the highest pin and of those the one with the
highest version.

For more RTFM.

MfG
        Goswin

PS: If unsure run apt-cache policy [package] to see what apt things.