Re: sources.list: experimental

Lennart Sorensen:
> On Tue, Dec 02, 2008 at 06:35:59PM +0100, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
>> just a question:
>>
>> adding an experimental source to the sources list (just to install a special
>> application from this), will an "aptitude upgrade" or "apt-get upgrade"
>> overwrite ALL installed packages ?
>
> upgrade doesn't do anything involving adding or removing packages.

Well, but it upgrades packages. In other words: it overwrites existing
packages. That's what Hans asked.

> dist-upgrade does, so really using anything other than dist-upgrade ever
> is just a mistake.

No, it is not. Using 'upgrade' (or 'safe-upgrade' when using aptitude)
is the safe way to update your system without changing the set of
installed packages.

In the past, this list received many mails from people asking for help
after apt(itude) removed some important package from their system. If
all these people had made a habit of using dist-upgrade only when they
know they really need it, they would have saved themselves a lot
trouble.

Of course, if you always check apt(itude)'s output before confirming its
actions, you don't "break" your system either. But it is never a mistake
to try the safe alternative first.

J.
--
I often blame my shortcomings on my upbringing.
[Agree]   [Disagree]