Re: sources.list: experimental

Hans,

On Wed 03 December 2008 05:37, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 2. Dezember 2008 schrieb Jochen Schulz:

> > > upgrade doesn't do anything involving adding or removing packages.
> >
> > Well, but it upgrades packages. In other words: it overwrites existing
> > packages. That's what Hans asked.
>
> Yes, that is exactly, what I wanted to know: does it overwrite all
> installed packages with packages with higher version numbers ? ( = versions
> from experimental).
>
> > > dist-upgrade does, so really using anything other than dist-upgrade
> > > ever is just a mistake.
> >
> > No, it is not. Using 'upgrade' (or 'safe-upgrade' when using aptitude)
> > is the safe way to update your system without changing the set of
> > installed packages.
> >
> > In the past, this list received many mails from people asking for help
> > after apt(itude) removed some important package from their system. If
> > all these people had made a habit of using dist-upgrade only when they
> > know they really need it, they would have saved themselves a lot
> > trouble.
> >
> > Of course, if you always check apt(itude)'s output before confirming its
> > actions, you don't "break" your system either. But it is never a mistake
> > to try the safe alternative first.
> >
> > J.
>
> I think my original question was wrong told: It is not a matter of the
> difference between upgrade and dist-upgrade (this difference i well known
> by me), my question aimed more to like "Hey, if there are higher versions
> in experimental, are they automatically installed, when doing apt-get
> dist-upgrade (like it behave, if I am running testing and add the
> repository of sid in sources.list) ? Or are all versions in experimental
> ignored, as experimental is handled in a special way ?"

I certainly am not an expert at package management. In fact, I think
maintaining a mixed system probably is one of the least understood areas of
Debian policy, but some time ago, I came across this recommendation. I tend
to run Stable, with a few packages from Testing, and keep this line in
my /etc/apt/apt.conf file:

APT::Default-Release "stable";

IIANM this ensures that my majority, stable packages will not be upgraded to
testing packages, even though I have the testing repository in my
sources.list file. Pinning is another option, but I understand it even less.

HTH

Cheers!

cmr

--
Debian 'Etch' - Registered Linux User #241964
--------