Re: Problems with gcc

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 11:35:52AM +0200, E. Rens wrote:
> I think my gcc problem is partly solved. It seems related to time_t
> which doesn't behave on amd64 as on i386 (where it was a double). I
> don't know yet how to cope with this but there must be a solution, there
> is a lot of concern about time_t and amd64 on the web. If you have a
> quick answer to this question too, don't hesitate to talk to me!
>
> For the installation and removal of gcc-4.3 base I still can't figure
> out what to do, but if compilation is possible, I feel less annoyed yet.

Well making code 64bit clean takes work in some cases where people made
(incorrect) assumptions about types which just happened to work.

time_t is __TIME_T_TYPE which is __SLONGWORD_TYPE which is 'long int'
which is 32bit on some systems and 64bit on others I believe.  As long
as the code ALWAYS uses time_t when working on time values, that is no
problem.