Re: Problems with gcc

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 04:19:05PM +0200, E. Rens wrote:
> Following our discussion in the "EM64T compiling options" thread I tried
> to recompile some simple programs with gcc in order to test openmp.
> The openmp "hello world" program went very well, however I cant run my
> own programs (with or without openmp). The compilation goes without
> problem but running the programs output lots of messages like:
>
> "19201:     binding file ./simpleset [0] to /lib/libc.so.6 [0]: normal
> symbol `malloc'" or:
> " 17186:     symbol=fprintf;  lookup in file=./simpleset [0]"
>
> This is followed by the normal output PLUS a segmentation fault. But not
> all the time, sometimes the same program (not even recompiled) executes
> without any error.
> I tried to remove and reinstall all the gcc packages but gcc-base-4.3
> refuses to be removed:
>
> # sudo apt-get remove gcc-4.3-base
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> or been moved out of Incoming.
> Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
> the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
> that package should be filed.
>   libgcc1: Depends: gcc-4.3-base (= 4.3.1-2) but it is not going to be
>   installed
> E: Broken packages
>
> I reinstalled it and also glibc, libgcc1, I finally installed gcc-4.2,
> but the problem remained, worse with gcc-3.4 whose compilations segfault
> immediately. I think I'll make a chroot environment in the future but I
> can't let my system in such a state anyway and I really don't know what
> to do. Any help highly welcome!

Try 'apt-get -f install' that will try to get the packages into a sane
state again.

Not sure what you did but you manged to install libgcc1 that requries
gcc 4.3 but not have gcc-4.3-base installed.  So the answer is either
install gcc-4.3-base or go back to an older libgcc1 that you do have the
requirements for.

Be very careful since removing libgcc1 will likely make your system
unusable so don't do that.  Either install an older version (apt-get
install libgcc1=someversionnumber), or install the required gcc-4.3-base
package.

'apt-cache show libgcc1 |grep Version' can get you a list of what
versions you have to choose between.