Re: Problems with gcc

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 14:53:32 -0400, "Lennart Sorensen"
<lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> said:
> But you had an error saying libgcc1 required a specific gcc-4.3-base
> which made it look like it was missing.
>
> What was the command you ran to get that error then?

When I realized that I couldn't run compiled programs I decided to
remove all the versions of gcc I had (3.4, 4.1, 4.3) to reinstall them
from the mirror (ftp://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ lenny main contrib --
changing it later to the main didn't improve the situation) running
apt-get clean, then:
# sudo apt-get remove gcc-4.3 gcc-4.3-base
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

  libgcc1: Depends: gcc-4.3-base (= 4.3.1-2) but it is not going to be
  installed
E: Broken packages

After that,trying to remove libgcc1 (just to see) I got :

  libc6: Depends: libgcc1 but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages

I can only reinstall these 2 packages but not remove them. Trying to
remove libc6 (also for testing) brings up an awful list of software,
among them essential ones that wouldn't leave my system usable, but at
least it is removable.

> --
> Len Sorensen

I think I'm feeling depressed!