Re: nvidia and latest unstable kernel image

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 08:41:49 -0500,
Seb <spluque@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks everyone for the feedback.  I found another report with the
> same card I have, which shows the problem of the 1 thin (1 pixel
> presumably) line at the top:

> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=115209

> Unfortunately, no solution was offered, so it seems I'll have to just
> revert back to a previous version of the driver, following Jaime's
> pointers for building it.  Thanks.

Just a quick followup report to indicate that I ultimately succeeded
with these steps (for posterity!):

1) rm -rf /usr/src/modules/nvidia /usr/src/nvidia*

2) added /etc/apt/sources.list lines (thanks to Jaime):

---<---------------cut here---------------start-------------->---
deb http://snapshot.debian.net/archive pool nvidia-graphics-drivers
deb-src http://snapshot.debian.net/archive pool nvidia-graphics-drivers
---<---------------cut here---------------end---------------->---

3) apt-get update
4) apt-get install nvidia-kernel-common nvidia-kernel-source=169.12-1
5) can't use the latest sid kernel, so go back to 2.6.24-1:

apt-get install linux-image-2.6.24-1-amd64 linux-headers-2.6.24-1-amd64

6) boot into 2.6.24-1 and:

m-a -t -f clean,build,install nvidia

7) apt-get install nvidia-glx=169.12-1

However, it's frustrating to remain ignorant about what the problem is
with my combination of the latest driver, kernel, and have to use an
older kernel.

Thanks to everyone for your input,

--
Seb