Re: C.P.U. suggestions.

Chris Wakefield wrote:
Greetings all.

I'm planning to build my next power machine, this time I may go with a Core Duo, but I looking for some suggestions and CPU stories from Y'all....

To my dissappointment my 'AMD 64 X2 Dual Core 3800' has been a ho-hum experience; don't know if it's the scheduler with the default debian compile that seems to effect the performance, but it's certainly nothing to write home about. .....I actually found my original AMD 64 Processor 3200+ (the one with 1 MiB L2 cache) to be probably the best CPU I ever had and I think just as capable as my X2.

So, I'm wondering about the Core Duo family and which is best for the desktop? (I've built about 3 machines for clients with these CPU's and they seem very snappy. I'm even talking about the 1.8 MHz variety).

I'm also wondering about alternate CPU's as well and what suggestions anyone has about those as well?

Any Suggestions?

Thanks,
Chris W.

Make sure your BIOS is up to date, you need BIOS support to run a dual core CPU on the old AMD boards from around the time of the transition to dual core.

Then look for an Opteron 185 on eBay. Almost the fastest non-FX socket 939 X2 CPU. Again, make sure the BIOS support is there.

Or, you can buy a new motherboard and go Intel Core 2. They are seriously fast.

Mark Allums