Re: C.P.U. suggestions.

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 11:20:25PM -0700, Chris Wakefield wrote:
To my dissappointment my 'AMD 64 X2 Dual Core 3800' has been a ho-hum experience; don't know if it's the scheduler with the default debian compile that seems to effect the performance, but it's certainly nothing to write home about. .....I actually found my original AMD 64 Processor 3200+ (the one with 1 MiB L2 cache) to be probably the best CPU I ever had and I think just as capable as my X2.

What software do you run that stresses your current CPU?  Do you not get
I/O bound?

How much memory do you need?  Intel shares the memory controller with
each CPU whereas AMD gives you a memory controller built into each CPU
(core?).

Doug
AMD has a dedicated memory controller for each CPU, but that memory controller is shared between all cores on the same CPU. Intel x86-64 CPU's generally have one memory controller shared between all the CPUs in a system and can get into memory bandwidth starvation with multiple CPU systems, especially with 4-sockets. None of this matters for single-CPU, multiple core desktop systems though.

Also, for what it's worth, I use XFS on several large storage machines, the head node for a Beowulf cluster, and all my desktops.

Brian