Re: Which kernel will Lenny likely use when it is released?

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 02:16:57PM -0500, Karl Schmidt wrote:
> OK, I understand I had the odd even part mixed up.
>
> But what I still don't understand is why 2.6.25 isn't in lenny yet if it is
> stable?

It hasn't been in unstable long enough to prove worthy. :)  Or some
dependancy issues perhaps.

Also 'stable' kernel doesn't mean bug free and without problems, and
hence maybe not yet ready for testing in Debian.  Debian does have a
rather high standard to live up to, which is probably much higher than
what the linux kernel releases tend to have.

> I'm thinking of pulling in 2.6.25 from unstable, but don't want to create
> other problems.

That shouldn't cause problems.  In fact I saw a kernel package
maintainer ask someone to do that to test if a bug in 2.6.24 was still
in 2.6.25 and said it should install perfectly on lenny.

> How can I find the ETA of 2.6.25 entering lenny? (I think some of lenny is
> already frozen - would that include the kernel?)

Maybe, although that just would mean that someone would have to
explicitly permit it in.  I get the impresion that the current goal for
Lenny is actually 2.6.26.

> I would think that they would fix the 2.6.24 4G bug if that is what they
> will release with?

Which bug was that?