Re: How would I add an OS to grub?

On Tue 10 June 2008 09:42, annne annnie wrote:
> I apologize for this really having nothing to do with debian, but I do not
> know of another place with people as smart as you.  I tried to install
> NetBSD (despite all the talk about OpenBSD, sorry).  It was complicated
> because I do not know much about computers, and there were a lot of
> differences from the debian installation.  I'm pretty sure I have a working
> version of NetBSD though, but it is not listed on the grub bootloader.  I
> did not choose to install NetBSD's boot select or anything like that.  I
> just want to know how to add NetBSD to grub.  If there is any technical
> information I need to edit grub.conf or whatever, you will have to explain
> to me how to get it because I will not know (such as the space on the hard
> drive hd0,1 and stuff like that... I don't know).  I'd appreciate the help,
> thanks guys.

We'll need a little more information to help you. First, do you have
Debian/Linux installed on this system, as well as NetBSD? Second, do you
already have a working GRUB installation for the Debian/Linux system?

If the answer to both of these questions is yes, then configuring GRUB to boot
your NetBSD installation should be relatively painless. Here's the specific
page in the GRUB manual for NetBSD:
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/NetBSD.html#NetBSD

If you're not familiar with how to configure GRUB, just follow the links to
the rest of the manual for some background information.

Cheers!

cmr

--
Debian 'Etch' - Registered Linux User #241964
--------