Re: How would I add an OS to grub?

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 03:42:16PM +0100, annne annnie wrote:
> I'm pretty sure I have a working version of NetBSD though, but it is
> not listed on the grub bootloader. (...) I just want to know how to
> add NetBSD to grub.

The exact documentation pointers are:
 info --node '(grub)Configuration'
 info --node '(grub)NetBSD'
 info --node '(grub)root'

You need to edit the file /boot/grub/menu.lst (as root), and add
before the
 ### BEGIN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
line or after the
### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
line a new menu entry along the lines of:

title           My shiny new NetBSD install
root            (hd0,18,a)
kernel --type=netbsd /path/to/the-netbsd-kernel

In (hd0,a):

 0 is the number of the hard drive (starting from 0) on which the
 NetBSD kernel is installed. If you have only one drive, use 0.

 18 is the number of the partition NetBSD is installed in; 0 to 3 for
 primary partitions and 4 and above for logical partititions. You can
 probably see which partition NetBSD is installed on from the output
 of "fdisk -l /dev/_the_hard_disk_where_NetBSD_is_installed".

 The "a" part is the subpartition in the BSD label; you probably chose
 it during the NetBSD install or you can get it in some way I don't
 know from the NetBSD command prompt.

You may have more luck finding someone more knowledgeable about
NetBSD-and-grub on http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/help-grub
Failing that, you may have to cobble together information from
different sources (such as a NetBSD user list and d-user@l.d.o or
d-bsd@l.d.o).

--
Lionel