Re: ia32 library repository, conclusion

Javier Serrano Polo <jasp00@terra.es> writes:

> El dc 14 de 05 de 2008 a les 05:10 +0200, en/na Goswin von Brederlow va
> escriure:
>> Can you repeat instructions where to get the source for creating your
>> repository and the repository itself again? The last url I saw did just
>> give a permission denied.
>
> I repeat (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=464796#40),
>
> The apt source is:
> deb http://62.43.64.122/debian/ lenny main contrib non-free

mrvn@frosties:~% wget -S http://62.43.64.122/debian/
--2008-05-15 05:20:12--  http://62.43.64.122/debian/
Connecting to 62.43.64.122:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response...
  HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden
  Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 03:20:12 GMT
  Server: Apache/2.2.8 (Debian)
2008-05-15 05:20:12 ERROR 403: Forbidden.

mrvn@frosties:~% wget -S http://62.43.64.122/debian/dists/lenny/main/source/Sources.gz
--2008-05-15 05:21:45--  http://62.43.64.122/debian/dists/lenny/main/source/Sources.gz
Connecting to 62.43.64.122:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response...
  HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
  Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 03:21:45 GMT
  Server: Apache/2.2.8 (Debian)
2008-05-15 05:21:45 ERROR 404: Not Found.

No browsing and no sources.

>> - No package in main Depends/Build-Depends on converted 32bit libs
>>   (last exception is wine which is to be rectified)
>
> I never understood that part of the policy. Why a main source package
> that produces a useful set of main binary packages can't produce
> additional contrib or non-free packages? How do you solve that?

It can produce contrib packages. It can not produce non-free packages
as that would imply the source is already non-free (not DFSG compliant).

>> What would be nice would be to integrate a repository of converted
>> packages (or the i386 packages needed for conversion) on the debian
>> amd64/ia64 CD/DVD images.
>
> It would indeed. But if the official position is to convert from the
> i386 mirror or use a separate one, then it's gonna be a conversion from
> the i386 CD set or use a separate one. That could be a mini-CD (you
> should try "Architecture: all", even with /emul/ia32-linux/), current
> files are ~142MB.

Or fetch (or fetch and convert) the packages during the CD building.

It would be simple to have the following layout on the CD:

dists/lenny/main/binary-amd64/
dists/lenny/main/debian-installer/binary-amd64/
dists/lenny/main/i386/binary-amd64/

for already converted packages or

dists/lenny/main/binary-amd64/
dists/lenny/main/binary-i386/
dists/lenny/main/debian-installer/binary-amd64/

for conversion at the users system.

But someone has to dig into debianCD, understand it and add a patch
for it.

MfG
        Goswin