Re: ia32 library repository, conclusion

Javier Serrano Polo <jasp00@terra.es> writes:

> Regarding availability, the mirroring offer's been taken back without
> any given reason. That's a problem indeed since the IP's gonna change
> eventually. However, if you're still interested in this service, just
> drop me a line and I'll solve that problem.
>
> Requests, bug reports, comments are welcome (at my address) as usual.

Can you repeat instructions where to get the source for creating your
repository and the repository itself again? The last url I saw did just
give a permission denied.

As for the future direction of ia32-libs there have been some
discussions with ftp-master as well. Here's a summary:

- No package in main Depends/Build-Depends on converted 32bit libs
  (last exception is wine which is to be rectified)

- contrib/non-free packages may depend/build-depend on packages
  outsite of Debian

=> ia32-libs can be removed from ftp.debian.org without breaking
   testing transitions

- Having a package with source and prebuild debs in the archive is an
  awfull waste of space and work.

- The packages can be converted straight from the i386 packages as
  needed to provide
  + another repository somewhere like the one Javier made
  + a repository on the users system
  + truely on-the-fly when downloading/installing

  We have enough proof of concept here to know this works well.

=> we can remove ia32-libs from ftp.debian.org without breaking 32bit
   support. I have an idea for a smooth upgrade path as well but
   untested so far. [Note: we can't have a ia32-libs meta package in
   main depending on the converted debs as they won't be in main so it
   is a bit tricky.]

The ia32-libs-tools package in NEW and in the ia32-libs svn repository
can create a repository on the users system and has about 75% of true
on-the-fly conversion. I would verry much merge that with what javier
wrote so we only have one conversion mechanism with all the special
cases covered each one spottet so far.

What would be nice would be to integrate a repository of converted
packages (or the i386 packages needed for conversion) on the debian
amd64/ia64 CD/DVD images. I hope someone will step forward to do some
work there. Otherwise we will loose the ability to run 32bit programs
without network access or a i386 CD/DVD set.

MfG
        Goswin