Re: console: what is the default in Debian-amd64 ?

Hans,

On Wed 07 May 2008 03:54, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> Dear maintainers,
>
> during an update some time ago, the settings for console seemed to be
> altered.
>
> Now X is on console 9 (tty8) but was before on console 7 (tty6). Although
> thisis no great problem, I would like to know, if the change was made by a
> package or something else.
>
> I found no information, how to set X back to console 7. My inittab was
> never changes by me, so I cannot explain it to myself.
>
> Where do I have to look ? Which is the default console number for X in
> debian-amd64 ? Some documentation would be helpful, too.
>

> Best regards
>
> Hans

I'm no expert at this but on my system, using KDE, the gui terminal seems to
be defined in /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc with the following entries:

	# VTs to allocate to X-servers. A negative number means that the VT will be
	# used only if it is free. If all VTs in this list are used up, the next free
	# one greater than the last one in this list will be allocated.
	# Default is ""
	ServerVTs=-7
	# TTYs (without /dev/) to monitor for activity while in console mode.
	# Default is ""
	ConsoleTTYs=tty1,tty2,tty3,tty4,tty5,tty6

The console terminals also are defined in /etc/inittab with the entries:

	l0:0:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 0
	l1:1:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 1
	l2:2:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 2
	l3:3:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 3
	l4:4:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 4
	l5:5:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 5
	l6:6:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 6

my guess would be that the ServerVTs= entry in kdmrc has changed.

HTH!

cmr

--
Debian 'Etch' - Registered Linux User #241964
--------