Re: Getting xorg to use the newly installed nvidia drivers

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 12:31:27PM -0400, Jos? Alburquerque wrote:
I'm pretty sure. Just to make sure I re-ran 'dpkg-reconfigure debconf' and configured it for low priority (as window shot should show). Here's the list of nvidia packages installed on this system:

Well it turns out that the latest xserver-xorg (from january 2008) has
now stopped asking a lot of questions and simply assumes the Xserver
will autodetect the right driver by itself.  Of course it could choose
nv instead of nvidia (and likely does) making for a lousy solution.

I guess the debian X team has decided to make life harder for most of
us.

You will have to manually specify the 'Driver "nvidia"' in your
section for configured video device for now it would seem.  You already
had to edit it manually for lots of driver specific options, so I guess
they haven't made it that much worse than it was before.  It they were
trying to get rid of stupid questions, perhaps the question about
emulating 3 mouse buttons could go away since if X detects a real 3
button mouse it turns off the emulation anyhow.

Really appreciate it.  Thanks.

--
José Alburquerque
jaalburquerque@cox.net

The path to real wisdom begins with a deep loving respect for the ever living God (Prov. 1:7)