Re: Graphics cards with Free drivers

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 10:23:47AM +0200, Helge Hafting wrote:
> That is one big problem with nvidia - my laptop needs a more recent
> kernel than that in order to have sound and wifi. So
> I use 2.6.25 with a wifi patch now, and with luck that patch will
> go into 2.6.26 so I can run a standard kernel again. Perhaps
> nvidia catch up someday. Anyway, the 3D effects in xlockmore is not
> too heavy to run in software.

nvidia is perfectly up to date.  It isn't nvidia's fault if yu try to
run a 2 year old driver with a 1 month old kernel.  If you want a new
kernel and a new nvidia driver, run unstable, or backport things you
need yourself (or get someone to do it for you).

> The worst part of nvidia is the occational lockup though. A surprise
> freeze or two a
> week is definitely too much - the machine runs stable without nvidia. :-/

Never seen that myself.  The only thing that has ever locked up X on me
is the stupid flash plugin from adobe.  That is a piece of unstable crap.

> I heard about this older version of the driver that didn't freeze up.
> Took some
> effort to find it and downgrade X. It was much better, but eventually it
> too hung
> the machine.

I run the latest 169.12 driver and no lockups on any of my machines so
far (all of which have nvidia cards in them).

Sometimes I wonder if the machines crashing have bad power supplies or
bad ram or something.