Re: Graphics cards with Free drivers

On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 03:53:55PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> Well the 169 driver in unstable works fine with 2.6.24.  The one in
> stable works fine with 2.6.18 (but I don't believe it supports an 8xxx
> cards).
>
> My howto on installing it on Debian is here:
> http://www.tinyplanet.ca/~lsorense/debian/debian-nvidia-dri-howto.html

Thanks, and sorry for being dense, but when you say 'the 196 driver' (or 1xx
driver, as you say in your howto), what should I be getting. I seem to be
unable to find any debian packages with that number in it.

You have a nice table that explains how to substitute
'nvidia-kernel-legacy-71xx-source' for 'nvidia-kernel-source' for an old
card, but I can't make anything similar to work no matter where I plug in the
magical 169. Obviously I am doing something wrong here...

The plain
  sudo m-a a-i -i -t -f nvidia-kernel-source
gets to the compile errors I reported earlier.

Thanks again

   Heikki

--
Heikki Levanto   "In Murphy We Turst"     heikki (at) lsd (dot) dk