Re: Problems installing amd64 with Supermicro motherboard

On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 10:17:03AM -0700, Francesco Pietra wrote:
> Hi
> I finally succeeded in entering BIOS (although the Intel Boot Agent is a pest that has still to be eliminated; thanks to "ael" for suggesting Freedos: not yet tried, I first wanted to configure BIOS at least where I am sure what I  am doing).
>
> In configuring the CPU (4 dual-core amd 875 Rev E1: cache L1 256KB, cache L2 2048KB) it is not clear to me how to set the MTRR mapping. The choice is between "continuous" (which makes the PCI hole noncacheable) and "discrete" (which places the PCI hole beloww the 4GB boundary).
>
> Oddly, the System Memory is reported 20480MB (which agrees with the result of command
>
> $ cat /proc/meminfo
>
> when Linux is launched. Actually, I installed aside each socket 2GB + 2GB + 1G + 1G Kingston DDR1 ECC, so I expected a total 24GB. All these memories were OK on a Tyan S2895, and insertion on the Supermicro H8QCE board seems correct. I did myself all the management of the 2GB, and I was carefully grounded.  Should the filling of the slots be different?

Is all the RAM the same speed?  Is it all ECC?  Is it all buffered?

The specs for the board seem to indicate it supports 32GB (16 x 2GB) of
buffered 400MHz DDR, or 64GB (16 x 4GB) of buffered 333MHz DDR.

What happens if you only install the 2GB modules and leave out the 1GB
modules?

So out of your 24GB you are only seeing 20GB?

As far as I can tell from the manual the way to install the ram would
be:

    CPU3                     2GB in 1B
                             2GB in 1A
    1GB in 2A                1GB in 2B
    1GB in 2B                1GB in 2A
    2GB in 1A
    2GB in 1B                CPU4

    2GB in 1B                CPU1
    2GB in 1A
    1GB in 2B                1GB in 2A
    1GB in 2A                1GB in 2B
                             2GB in 1A
    CPU2                     2GB in 1B

Could you post your 'dmesg' output, to see what the e820 tables and mtrr
and such show as well as the kernel reserved memory?