Re: Problems installing amd64 with Supermicro motherboard

On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 03:56:58PM -0700, Francesco Pietra wrote:
> Hi Giacomo:
> I do have a fast internet connections, though the current installation of amd64 was for a RealTek. On the Supermicro there is an integrated Gigabit, which is not seen by Linux. This also means that I can't scp to the machine and from it, which spoils the possibility offered by running computational programs. Also the CDROM is not seen (by both Linux and BIOS): might it be that the 80-wire ATA 133 cable used is not compatible with the Pioneer DVD-110?

No an 80 wire IDE cable should always work.

> It seems that the needed steps are:
>
> 1) Fix the hardware problem of the CDROM

Or someone disabled IDE support in the BIOS.  Or linux doesn't recognize
the IDE controller.

> 2) Prevent Intel Boot Agent from initializing (which also takes time)

There should be a BIOS option to turn of network boot support.

> 3) Deactivate from BIOS all that is not needed, such as parallel port, COM1/COM2 not to subtract resources.

Usually not a bad idea.

> 4) Reinstall amd64, possibly lenny instead of etch (finally, this is not a server, it is a workstation)

On a new board, lenny is much more likely to be successful.

To get in to the BIOS, try just holding you hand on lots of keys on the
keyboard while the system powers up.  Often you can generate a keyboard
error, and it will offer you something like "F1 to continue, F2 to enter
setup".  Other keys to enter the BIOS are DEL, INS, F2, F10, F12.  Some
laptops only let you enter the BIOS after a power off, not a reboot, not
sure if any server or desktop systems are like that.