Re: Problems installing amd64 with Supermicro motherboard

Hi Giacomo:
I do have a fast internet connections, though the current installation of amd64 was for a RealTek. On the Supermicro there is an integrated Gigabit, which is not seen by Linux. This also means that I can't scp to the machine and from it, which spoils the possibility offered by running computational programs. Also the CDROM is not seen (by both Linux and BIOS): might it be that the 80-wire ATA 133 cable used is not compatible with the Pioneer DVD-110?

It seems that the needed steps are:

1) Fix the hardware problem of the CDROM
2) Prevent Intel Boot Agent from initializing (which also takes time)
3) Deactivate from BIOS all that is not needed, such as parallel port, COM1/COM2 not to subtract resources.
4) Reinstall amd64, possibly lenny instead of etch (finally, this is not a server, it is a workstation)

francesco