Re: Hey everyone, GUI isn't working; I can't figure out how to configure my xserver correctly.

Lance Ferrer:

> Hey guys, when I typed in /etc/X11/xorg.conf it said bash:
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf  permission denied or something like that.  i typed in su
> then my root password then did it and it still said permission denied.

bash expects that you type in commands. If you type the name of a file,
it tries to execute that file which doesn't make any sense for
configuration files. There's no way to execute them and therefore they
don't have the 'x' bit set. That's why you get "permission denied" from
bash. Execeuting that particular file is not allowed because it doesn't
make sense to do that.

If you want to view the file, try 'less /etc/X11/xorg.conf'. If you want
to edit it, type 'nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf' or, if you know vi,
'vim /etc/X11/xorg.conf'.

> don't really know what im doing though.  I tried using dpkg-reconfigure
> xserver-xorg and i selected vesa for my drive.  i didn't really know what to
> put for everything else so for the thing that i had to type stuff in i left
> what was in there and just hit enter or left it blank and hit enter.

That's usually a good strategy.

> bfg tech nvidea 8800 GT

Unfortunately, you need a fairly new driver from nvidia to use this card
and the open source version 'nv' cannot handle it at all. And as far as
I remember, the current driver from nvidia doesn't work with Debian
Etch, you have to compile a recent kernel yourself.

You might have luck using the 'vesa' driver, though. But it will be
pretty slow.

J.
--
I think the environment will be okay.