Re: Hey everyone, GUI isn't working; I can't figure out how to configure my xserver correctly.

--- Lance Ferrer <lferrer18@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey guys, when I typed in /etc/X11/xorg.conf it said
> bash:
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf  permission denied or something
> like that.  i typed in su
> then my root password then did it and it still said
> permission denied.  i
> don't really know what im doing though.  I tried
> using dpkg-reconfigure
> xserver-xorg and i selected vesa for my drive.  i
> didn't really know what to
> put for everything else so for the thing that i had
> to type stuff in i left
> what was in there and just hit enter or left it
> blank and hit enter.  i
> tried it with the framebuffer thing and without (i
> don't know what that is),
> but both times i typed startx my monitor showed the
> message it says when i
> turn my comp off (something about power saving
> enabled.. monitor will shut
> down soon.  something along those lines.)  i just
> restart my comp and go
> into single user mode (don't know what made me do
> that) then i do the same
> command and switch back to nv driver.  back to where
> i started... as for
> booting in single user mode... i do that, but what
> do i do next?  how does
> booting without x get my desktop running?  how do i
> add -s to the kernel
> command line?  what does that do?
>
> Specs:
> gigabyte s-series ga-ma790x-ds4 am2/am2+ socket
> type...
> bfg tech nvidea 8800 GT
> amd dual core 64 bit processor (am2 socket)
> 4 GB ddr2 1066 ram
>
> if you need to know anything else just ask, and as
> for how it is set up... i
> have award bios let me know how to find out what
> set-up things you need to
> know and ill tell you how its set up lol.  thanks
> for the help guys

You might try booting from a live CD (e.g.,
www.knoppix.net). If X comes up okay, then you can
inspect the configuration file(s) (e.g., xorg.conf) to
get some clues as to what's amiss with your own
installation.