Re: Fwd: P5K-VM v BFG NVidia 8800GT OC

Looks like I spoke too soon. It's the motherboard, as someone else mentioned.

I am about to take a brick to it.

On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 9:32 AM, Massimo Savino <north.twilight@gmail.com> wrote:
I reinstalled last night with the card in from the start and it appears to be using the nv driver well.

Now I need to test the proprietary driver, will keep everyone posted.

Thanks Len! These are good suggestions, I'm sorry I wasn't able to test them.

Kind regards
Mass

On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 8:37 AM, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
On Thu, Apr 03, 2008 at 11:34:07PM -0400, Massimo Savino wrote:
> The bios got updated a few weeks ago to the most recent version. I just
> realised that I can just reinstall Debian, this time with the videocard
> plugged in from the start, and then upgrade that way. I'll try that and see
> how it goes.
>
> I removed the videocard and booted into a 2gb setup. seems ok, but that's
> not unexpected: it worked fine with 4gb RAM too.
>
> In answer to these qns:
> *only part way through booting linux does it go blank?  Is
> there still disk activity after it goes blank?
> *
> Yes to the first, and the keyboard appears to function just fine, so it
> looks like it's a video issue only (thank God).

Could you ssh to it from another machine and capture the ouput of
'dmesg' and 'lspci -vv' and such?  Maybe there is some clue in there.
If it's just the video that gets messed up the system will probably
still work fine and let you access it removely assuming you have
openssh-server installed.