Re: SuperMicro Super 7 X7SBi

On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 10:24:24AM +0000, A J Stiles wrote:
> The DVD drive is connected to the onboard IDE controller as secondary slave.
> I thought all optical drives were the same, driver-wise?

What device is master?  It is technically not valid under the IDE specs
to have a slave without a master and it doesn't have to work properly.

Any idea which type of IDE controller it is?  Perhaps lspci could list
something useful.

> So how does it ever manage to boot up the installation disk at all in the
> first place, then?

That uses El Torito emulation from the BIOS.  The kernel does native
access (since the BIOS can't be used once you switch to 32 or 64bit
		mode).

> I got the kernel to compile and boot  (after much wailing and gnashing of
> teeth; first time around I forgot the initial ramdisk image, so I got errors
> about unknown block devices.  In the 2.2 and 2.4 days, I always put stuff
> that was needed for booting straight into the kernel, not as a module.  And
> somehow my lilo.conf was not updated correctly when I installed the new
> linux-image with initrtd.)
>
> Still no joy with the DVD drive.
>
> I think I'm going to get back to the supplier, and ask them what driver they
> used when they tested it before it left the workshop.

If it works with the BIOS for booting, then it must be a working DVD
drive and a working IDE controller.  Or at least one would think so.

If you have the system running, capture the output of 'dmesg' and post
that.  Maybe someone will notice something that explains the problem.