Re: SuperMicro Super 7 X7SBi

On Thu, Apr 03, 2008 at 11:43:50AM +0000, A J Stiles wrote:
> Recently purchased a server with this motherboard and a 3Ware RAID card  (true
> hardware RAID:  Linux sees the array as a single SCSI hard drive.)
>
> Downloaded the latest Etch net install CD.
>
> All seemed to be going well, until hardware detection.  The installer
> complained that it could not find the CD-ROM drive *from which it had just
> booted* !
>
> No joy with 32-bit Etch, nor a very recent liveCD distro I keep around for
> testing  (that also complained of not being able to find a CD-ROM drive).
>
> Fortunately, I had a USB pen drive and was able to complete the installation
> using that.  Of course, the pen drive was detected as /dev/sda and the RAID
> array was /dev/sdb, so LILO got its knickers in a twist at the next bootup
> and I got unceremoniously dumped into an initramfs prompt  (something that
> should *never* happen).  At least I was able to mount the RAID array and edit
> fstab and lilo.conf, then reboot with "root=/dev/sda1" and re-run /sbin/lilo.
> Next time it booted up correctly.
>
> Still no joy with the optical drive  (it's a dual-layer DVD rewriter)  though!
> The running kernel is 2.6.18-6-amd64, which isn't the latest.  I've pulled
> 2.6.24.4 source from kernel.org and will give that a try when it's done
> baking.

Which controller is the DVD connected to?

Maybe your controller isn't supported by 2.6.18 in etch.  The 3ware
obviously is and USB as well.

Don't bother with kernel.org, grab the linux-image from unstable
instead since it has 2.6.24.  Much less messy.  After all if there is a
package for it use it.  Only when there isn't should you bother with the
source.  It keeps the system neat and tidy.