Re: How to rebuild package database

Am Samstag, 15. März 2008 schrieb Douglas A. Tutty:
> On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 08:44:49PM +0100, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> > accidently I crashed my package database with
> >
> > dpkg --set-selections < packagelist.txt
> >
> > Now aptitude wants to delete a lot and reinstall other packages, which
> > are already installed.
>
> Ouch.
>
> > I want to correct my database to the already installed package. There is
> > another file with the list of the already installed packages available,
> > which was created by synaptic.
> >
> > How can I teach aptitude, to read this file and let it generate an
> > up-to-date database ?
>
> You'd have to write a script.
>
> Is this list from synaptic just of the packages you want (minus their
> dependancies) or all packages that were installed?
>
> You will probably find that since this is a one-off problem, that just
> printing out the list and highlighting the packages _you_ want manually
> installed then use aptitude to mark them for install.
>
> Why was the list created on synaptic but you want to use aptitude, where
> did you get the packagelist.txt, and why did you use dpkg
> --set-selections?
>
> Doug.

Hi Doug,

the list created by synaptic was a list about all installed packages. I am
using synaptic, to save my packagelist in a file in regular timesteps.

As I use different computers, I accidently chose the wrong file.

I used dpkg --set-selections to test the syntax. Normally nothing would have
happened, if I would have choosen the correct file. :)

Anyway, I think, I could solve the problem meanwhile. It was a little bit
tricky, but it seem to work now.

Best regards

Hans