How to rebuild package database (Update)

Hi all,

accidently I crashed my package database with

dpkg --set-selections < packagelist.txt

Now aptitude wants to delete a lot and reinstall other packages, which are
already installed.

I want to correct my database to the already installed package. There is
another file with the list of the already installed packages available, which
was created by synaptic.

How can I teach aptitude, to read this file and let it generate an up-to-date
database ?

Thanks for any help !

best regards

Hans

I made the trick, I hope ! Running twice:

dpkg --set-selections < ./origin.txt

then starting "dselect"  seemed to rebuild the database, then
starting "apt-get dist-upgrade" seemed to rebuild my database again.

Please tell me, if I did it correct this way or if there is a better one.

Cheers !

Hans