Re: How to rebuild package database

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 08:44:49PM +0100, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> accidently I crashed my package database with
>
> dpkg --set-selections < packagelist.txt
>
> Now aptitude wants to delete a lot and reinstall other packages, which are
> already installed.
Ouch.

> I want to correct my database to the already installed package. There is
> another file with the list of the already installed packages available, which
> was created by synaptic.
>
> How can I teach aptitude, to read this file and let it generate an up-to-date
> database ?

You'd have to write a script.

Is this list from synaptic just of the packages you want (minus their
dependancies) or all packages that were installed?

You will probably find that since this is a one-off problem, that just
printing out the list and highlighting the packages _you_ want manually
installed then use aptitude to mark them for install.

Why was the list created on synaptic but you want to use aptitude, where
did you get the packagelist.txt, and why did you use dpkg
--set-selections?

Doug.