Re: Partition suggestions.

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 04:21:08PM +0000, Nuno Magalhães wrote:

> >  > That's part of why I put swap in LVM.  Why not put swap in LVM?
> Well, basically 'cos the little i'vre read of LVM seemed to confuse
> more that simplify and i don't wanna waste too much time setting this
> up. It's just one disk, one home system, nothing mission critical. As
> far as i now the advantage is that you can change partition sizes  but
> how often would i need that, especially when i know, for this system,
> what sizes are more or less required?

This assumption has proved wrong quite often. For business use, the
purpose the the system can change quite sudden, and even for private you
can guess wrong, even for your own use.

When chances are that you are maintaining a system for a long time
migrating it to different hardware and disks, the flexibility outwieghts
the complexity at the startup.

Bye,

Joerg