Re: In-place upgrade from i386

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 03:16:20PM +0100, Joerg Dorchain wrote:

> I found that webpage:
> http://www.digitalkingdom.org/~rlpowell/hobbies/debian_arch_up/index.html
>
> At first glance, it looks sane to me. Comments are welcome ;)

Ok, this basically works. Some comments by my:

- I used bash-static to be on the save side.
- The crucial point is the 64bit libc install. This only runs without
  error with the  ld-linux.so link.  I have the impression that some
  install scripts keep setting this link to the wrong place, so the
  64bit libc does not install.
  It makes no sense to continue without it, so set this link immediately
  before the dpkg command.
- Keep the 32bit selections file around. Apt-get upgrade installed about
  30 additional packages + libraries. You might want to trim that down.
- An archive or a fast network connection comes in handy
- For getting the packages + dependencies before the 64bit apt works,
  apt-get -o Apt::Architecture="amd64" -d works well.
- This all goes with minimal downtime. Services are only stopped and
  restarted with the normal upgrade process. Of course, X, firefox and
  the usual suspects are very confused when you change their .so modules
  while they are running, but I do not consider this specific to the
  architecture change.

Bye,

Joerg