Re: Partition suggestions.

On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 04:13:27PM -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 08:15:35PM +0000, Nuno Magalh??es wrote:
> > Greetings.
> >
> > Yes, it's a religous question but i'll try to lmit it.
> > This is my df -h
[snip]
> Well one reason for seperate /var is that /var/log and /var/lib
> (databases and such) can grow very quickly and cause such problems.
> /home is kept seperate because you don't want normal users to fill the
> disk (although the reserved space does help avoid issues if they try).
>
> My latest install uses:
> 25G / (raid 1 on sda1 and sdb1)
> 25G /home (raid 1 on sdc1 and sdd1)
> LVM PV (raid 5 on sda2, sdb2, sdc2 and sdd2)
> Swap and /var (for mythtv storage and mysql and such) in LVM.  LVM is
> handy since I can add and remove volumes and resize them without any of
> the problems caused by partitions.
>
> / (or at least /boot) had to stay out of raid5/LVM since grub doesn't
> support that yet (GRUB2 might some day when it is released).

Just to add my mix to the mix

I usually set up like

500M /boot
10G /
2G ( or roughly mem size) to swap
the rest to LVM

with LVM I can expand/reduce and just about anything I want to do

This also mean I can stay within the 4 primary partition table entries
In LVM I create

/home         - for users info
/home/alex    - cause I have more
/var/log      - because it grows

for application
/var/cache/squid - because it can grow and I don't want it to affect /

Under all this I usually have raid1