Gnome takeover

I got a rar file with a bunch of mpc files in it. When i tried to play
one it opened with gnome's movieplayer but had no codec. That's fine,
but why did the windowmanager change? As soon as the player opened all
the icons, titlebars etc turned to gnome's default. i'm using xfce and
i like it and there was no aparent reason for this to happen. Plus, it
crashed mozilla.

Guess i'll follow some threads and rm everything gnome. Or i'll just
reisntal the whole thing. y biggest partition is my XP's fat32 where
most of my files are but i have problems copying to/from it unicode
issues mostly, i suppose) and i almost never use XP anyway so i could
use some of that space. And just stick to etx3 everywhere, /home
included. If needed i have an external fat32  drive to talk to Bill.

While searching for the musepack codec i ran across xmms and xmms2...
er... what's the difference?

Is there any kind of wrapper or something where you can centralize all
your prefs? Meaning one application that stores and enforces your
default sxerver, display manager, window manager, file manager... With
all this experimenting i have a crowded drive with packages i most
certainly do not use and no apparent coherence.

--
Fica bem, porta-te mal.
Be well, misbehave.