Re: Corrupted Gnome terminal

On Tue, 2008-01-15 at 14:36 -0600, Jack Schneider wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-01-14 at 15:11 -0800, Alex Malinovich wrote:
--snip--
> Tried the failsafe Gnome-Terminal, Terminal is fine when I login as
> alternate-user, but when I login as myself it continues to fail...8-(
>
> Tried the strace procedure the Jurriaan suggested.  and the diff
> returned a null output.  so it seems that starting gnome-terminal does
> not give a traceable error..  unless I screwed up again...8-)
> I hope I'm not interfering with your day... Thanks for your efforts and
> guidance....

Ok, let's do a quick refresher so I can make sure we're both on the same
page here:

1) Launching gnome-terminal through a failsafe xterm session works fine
2) Launching it as a different user in a regular gnome session works
fine
3) Launching it as yourself in a regular gnome session or even a
failsafe gnome session causes it to fail?
4) Using xterm or any other terminal emulator works fine

And of the following, which have you/haven't you done already:

1) Removed all the gnome-terminal gconf settings
2) Done a purge of gnome-terminal followed by a reinstall (apt-get
remove --purge gnome-terminal)

Now, come to think of it, can you give some more details on what exactly
is happening with the window? I know you said you can't close it, but
does the terminal work ok otherwise? After you open the terminal, can
you actually type commands, get output, etc?

Do the drop-down menus at the top work if you click on them?

If you click the close button at the top of the window does Gnome give
you the "force quit" dialog?

If you can provide a screenshot of the terminal in the hung state that
would also be helpful.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837