Re: Corrupted Gnome terminal

On Mon, 2008-01-14 at 08:02 -0600, Jack Schneider wrote:
--snip--
> My Problems:
> Gnome terminal has unreadable fonts..TOO small. The terminal will not
> close, when clicking on X, and cntrl++ will not work.
>
> Xterm seems to work. OK  /var/log/Xorg.0.log has one failure:
> (EE) Failed to load module "type1" (module does not exist, 0)
>
> I created a new user, and the Gnome terminal on that Desktop works
> normally..OK  So it seems I have a hidden file screwed up on my
> desktop...
>
> Anyone have a idea what folder i should replace???  or what/where I
> should look or go from here???  I have been struggling for several days
> and come up blank from Archive and Google.

A good place to start would be to take a look at the gconf settings for
gnome-terminal, specifically /apps/gnome-terminal. If you don't mind
losing any settings for it, you can do:

gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /apps/gnome-terminal

However, as you've mentioned you're having difficulties closing the
program, I'd be inclined to think that the problem might lie with
another application in your session. Try logging into a failsafe xterm
session and starting up just your WM and gnome-terminal. Something along
the lines of:

foo@bar:~$ metacity &
foo@bar:~$ gnome-terminal

And then see what happens. Doing it this way will allow you to determine
if the fault lies with another program that's running in your session.

Hope that helps.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837