Re: dpt_i2o and i2o_block on amd64 etch

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
On Mon, May 14, 2007 at 08:59:17AM -0500, Neil Gunton wrote:
I've never done that (at install time anyway) - are you talking about just using something like modprobe or insmod?

Yes using modprobe (insmod should almost never be used manually).

I always thought Adaptec was a pretty major company. I guess I was wrong (or at least chose a card that turned out to be kind of a loser). I thought that drivers were difficult back in 2005 because the card was so new. Now it appears the opposite - nobody is using it because it just never took off at all.

I remember all the hype about i2o a long time ago, and I thought it had
totally disappeared.  I was rather surprised a couple of years ago when
someone asked how to get i2o working with the amd64 sarge installer.

Adaptec is a large company, but it seems a lot less low end users bother
with scsi anymore.  I think the main market is enterprise level with
SAS today.  Parallel shared single point of failure busses are fortunately
going away now.

I remember hearing anecdotal stories around 1-2 years ago about the i2o_block driver causing sporadic disk corruption. Does anybody have any insight on whether those problems were found and fixed? If the driver never got enough use to give the developer enough info to debug it, then perhaps I should install with i2o_block and then roll my own kernel again with the dpt_i2o driver (Mark Salyzyn recently emailed me the most recent version). I guess I'll have to read up again on rolling your own kernel "the debian way", I seem to remember it was kind of convoluted...

I don't know if the i2o_block issues were specifically with 64-bit, 32-bit or whatever. I was somewhat surprised to find that when I did searches for dpt_i2o and i2o_block and AMD64 last week, some of the top results were from my own thread here on installing on AMD64 two years ago! Kind of depressing.

So: Anybody had recent problems with i2o_block in production on AMD64?

Thanks again,

/Neil