Re: dpt_i2o and i2o_block on amd64 etch

On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 02:01:21PM -0500, Neil Gunton wrote:
> I installed a server back in 2005 which has an Adaptec SmartRaid 2015S
> card. I had problems installing AMD64, which I eventually worked around
> and documented here:
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-amd64/2005/09/msg00201.html
>
> Now I am considering rebuilding the server from the ground up with
> Etch/AMD64 netinst (repartitioning, replacing disks). I would like to
> install, if at all possible, without going through the song and dance
> that was required back in 2005 (bootstrapping off CentOS etc).
>
> So, I am wondering if anybody can tell me whether:
>
> a) dpt_i2o is now included with the stock netinst amd64 kernel, or
> b) i2o_block is now including and working with stock netinst kernel

Well the 2.6.18 kernel on Etch amd64 has:
CONFIG_I2O=m
CONFIG_I2O_LCT_NOTIFY_ON_CHANGES=y
CONFIG_I2O_EXT_ADAPTEC=y
CONFIG_I2O_EXT_ADAPTEC_DMA64=y
CONFIG_I2O_CONFIG=m
CONFIG_I2O_CONFIG_OLD_IOCTL=y
CONFIG_I2O_BUS=m
CONFIG_I2O_BLOCK=m
CONFIG_I2O_SCSI=m
CONFIG_I2O_PROC=m

... so I think i2o_block should be covered.  I seem to recall dpt_i2o
isn't 64bit safe and I don't think anyone has tried to fix it.

> I don't really mind which driver it wants to use, as long as I can get
> things running again, ideally with a quick, straightforward install. The
> server is colocated and so this will be a road trip up to Chicago. I'd
> like to know roughly what to expect.

Looks like it should work.  The kernel on sarge never had the i2o stuff
enabled so it was a pain for sure.