Re: dpt_i2o and i2o_block on amd64 etch

On Monday 14 May 2007 11:09, Neil Gunton wrote:
> Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> > On Mon, May 14, 2007 at 08:59:17AM -0500, Neil Gunton wrote:
> >> I've never done that (at install time anyway) - are you talking about
> >> just using something like modprobe or insmod?
> >
> > Yes using modprobe (insmod should almost never be used manually).
> >
> >> I always thought Adaptec was a pretty major company. I guess I was wrong
> >> (or at least chose a card that turned out to be kind of a loser). I
> >> thought that drivers were difficult back in 2005 because the card was so
> >> new. Now it appears the opposite - nobody is using it because it just
> >> never took off at all.
> >
> > I remember all the hype about i2o a long time ago, and I thought it had
> > totally disappeared.  I was rather surprised a couple of years ago when
> > someone asked how to get i2o working with the amd64 sarge installer.
> >
> > Adaptec is a large company, but it seems a lot less low end users bother
> > with scsi anymore.  I think the main market is enterprise level with
> > SAS today.  Parallel shared single point of failure busses are
> > fortunately going away now.
>
> I remember hearing anecdotal stories around 1-2 years ago about the
> i2o_block driver causing sporadic disk corruption. Does anybody have any
> insight on whether those problems were found and fixed? If the driver
> never got enough use to give the developer enough info to debug it, then
> perhaps I should install with i2o_block and then roll my own kernel
> again with the dpt_i2o driver (Mark Salyzyn recently emailed me the most
> recent version). I guess I'll have to read up again on rolling your own
> kernel "the debian way", I seem to remember it was kind of convoluted...
>
> I don't know if the i2o_block issues were specifically with 64-bit,
> 32-bit or whatever. I was somewhat surprised to find that when I did
> searches for dpt_i2o and i2o_block and AMD64 last week, some of the top
> results were from my own thread here on installing on AMD64 two years
> ago! Kind of depressing.
>
> So: Anybody had recent problems with i2o_block in production on AMD64?
>
> Thanks again,
>
> /Neil

I can't say for sure whether it's i2o_block that's causing the problem, but I
have a dual-Opteron server that's running up-to-date Etch with md RAID-1. It
seems that about once a month or so when I check my logs I see that one of
the md devices has become corrupted and was rebuilt. For example:

Jan  7 01:06:03 eljudnir kernel: block-osm: transfer error
Jan  7 01:06:14 eljudnir kernel:  disk 0, wo:0, o:1, dev:i2o/hdc1
Jan  7 01:06:14 eljudnir kernel:  disk 1, wo:0, o:1, dev:i2o/hdd1
Jan  7 01:06:18 eljudnir kernel: block-osm: transfer error
Jan  7 01:13:14 eljudnir mdadm: Rebuild20 event detected on md device /dev/md1

But, I suppose this also could be the result of a disk drive that is failing
or any of several other causes.

I'm using i2o_core & i2o_block. It's a Tyan S2882UG3NR Thunder K8S M/B with a
built-in Adaptec AIC7902W dual-channel U320 SCSI controller.

Cheers!

cmr
--
Debian 'Etch' - Registered Linux User #241964
--------