Re: Shouldn't this work?

On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 04:35:02PM -0400, Wayne Topa wrote:

> I just purchased a set of DVD's to install Debian Etch (4.0) on my
> system.  I also got a Ubuntu Ver 6.06 AMD 64 DVD to see how a amd64
> compared to the K7 I'm currently running.
>
> On bootup the Ubuntu DVD say that I am not running on a amd64 box.
> Here is what /proc/cpuingo says:
> processor       : 0
> vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
> cpu family      : 6
> model           : 4
> model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) processor
> stepping        : 2
> cpu MHz         : 1000.123
> cache size      : 256 KB
> fdiv_bug        : no
> hlt_bug         : no
> f00f_bug        : no
> coma_bug        : no
> fpu             : yes
> fpu_exception   : yes
> cpuid level     : 1
> wp              : yes
> flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow up
> bogomips        : 2002.13
>
> Did I misunderstand somthing?  I 'thought' I read that the Athlon
> was a 64 bit processor.  Am I wrong, again?

Athlon 64 chips are 64bit.  Athlon's were not (That is Athlon, Athlon
XP, and such).  Some Semprons are 64bit, some are not, depending on the
model.  Opterons are all 64bit.

Certainly an old 1GHz chip isn't 64bit.  An Athlon IS a K7.  An Athlon
64 is a K8.

Here is an Athlon 64 3500+ (64bit):
# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 15
model           : 15
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3500+
stepping        : 0
cpu MHz         : 2202.920
cache size      : 512 KB
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext lm 3dnowext 3dnow up
bogomips        : 4410.82
TLB size        : 1024 4K pages
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management: ts fid vid ttp

This particular model is 2.2GHz.  It is running amd64.

For comparison here is an Athlon XP 2800+ (32bit only).
# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 6
model           : 10
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2800+
stepping        : 0
cpu MHz         : 2088.163
cache size      : 512 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow up ts
bogomips        : 4179.29

This one is about 2.085Ghz, but is a whole lot slower than the Athlon 64.  It is running i386.