Re: Shouldn't this work?

Lennart Sorensen(lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca) is reported to have said:
> On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 04:35:02PM -0400, Wayne Topa wrote:
> >
> > I just purchased a set of DVD's to install Debian Etch (4.0) on my
> > system.  I also got a Ubuntu Ver 6.06 AMD 64 DVD to see how a amd64
> > compared to the K7 I'm currently running.
<--<snip>-->

> > Did I misunderstand somthing?  I 'thought' I read that the Athlon
> > was a 64 bit processor.  Am I wrong, again?
>
> Athlon 64 chips are 64bit.  Athlon's were not (That is Athlon, Athlon
> XP, and such).  Some Semprons are 64bit, some are not, depending on the
> model.  Opterons are all 64bit.
>
> Certainly an old 1GHz chip isn't 64bit.  An Athlon IS a K7.  An Athlon
> 64 is a K8.

'If' I had read the anywhere I would not have goofed!  I was sure that
I read somewhere that 'All Athlon's were 64 bit.  I should have asked
here first.

Thanks guys! Now I have an excuse to get a new system!  This box is
getting a bit weary anyway.

Regards
Wayne

--
Documentation is the castor oil of programming.  Managers know it must
be good because the programmers hate it so much.