Re: "Swap area shorter than signature indicates"

Everything seems setup correctly.  What's in /proc/swaps?

Probably you initialized the swap partitions before creating the raid
array (on /dev/sda5 and/or /dev/sdb5).  Software raid steals a bit of
space from the device so your resulting mirror is smaller than each
device.  Make sure first that you aren't using it (swapoff /dev/md1),
then do a mkswap /dev/md1 to reinitialize the array as swap.

Matteo Vescovi wrote:
Hi all.

The subject of this mail is the message I can find for every boot in my
/var/log/messages file.
I've set up a RAID1 environment with etch amd64; it's composed of 2
identical HDDs. The partitioning scheme is the same for both the devices.
I've put the swap area (a /dev/md1 made by /dev/sda5 and /dev/sdb5) in
the RAID, setting the ID label as "fd" (that is the 'Linux raid
autodetect' mode).

The /proc/mdstat file says about that partition:

md1 : active raid1 sda5[0] sdb5[1]
      1951744 blocks [2/2] [UU]

Is that correct?
Is the swap area working right despite the message above?
If so, why do I get that strange message in the logs?

Thanks a lot for your hints.

Greetings,

Matteo

--
-Cedar

What's an Intel chip doing in a Mac?
  A whole lot more than it's ever done in a PC.