Re: Is glibc getaddrinfo() working on your etch-amd64 system?

From: "YOSHIFUJI Hideaki / 吉藤英明" <yoshfuji@linux-ipv6.org>

It is nothing to do with amd64, but the usage;
getaddrinfo() is not for reserve DNS lookups.
For that purpose, use getnameinfo() instead.

Thank you!

If you don't mind, I am wondering why getaddrinfo() previously
worked for reverse lookups?  Was it just an accident?

Note, I'm not trying to argue... I'm just surpised and curious.

The man page for getaddrinfo() says, "The getaddrinfo(3) function
combines the functionality provided by the getipnodebyname(3),
getipnodebyaddr(3), getservbyname(3), and getservbyport(3) functions
into a single interface."

And the man page for getipnodebyaddr() says, "The getipnodebyaddr(3)
function looks up the name of the host whose network address is
specified by the addr parameter."

So it sounds like the man page is saying that getaddrinfo()
includes the functionality of getipnodebyaddr() ?

Anyway - thank you for your help!  I'm off to inquire on the
ruby-core mailing list, because Ruby also uses getaddrinfo()
to perform reverse lookups.  (That is how my journey began:
my Ruby code stopped working when I upgraded to etch.)

Regards,

Bill